The principal objective of the teaching of English as a second language in the schools of Hong Kong is to provide pupils with the opportunity to develop the maximum degree of functional competence in English of which he or she is capable given the constraints inherent in the situation, in particular competence in those domains of use which are specially appropriate to Hong Kong situation.
Some Special Features of the Present English Syllabus:
- English is seen as a medium of purposeful communication as well as a formal system.
- Greater attention has been paid to develop pupils' skills in learning and thinking. Reading is considered to be one of the crucial skills in life-long learning. Hence, a reading programme is developed to achieve the objectives of learning to read and reading to learn.
- A comprehensive school-based writing programme has been designed for developing pupils’ writing skills.
- IT is used as an important tool for developing pupils' self-directed learning skill, particularly in P5 and P6.
- The English Syllabus for primary and secondary schools have been designed as a continuous unity.